Sunday, January 18, 2015

Blended Learning in Math

I am always looking for new and innovative ways to engage my students and ensure that they are learning at their instructional level.  This year I decided to try blended learning. Blended learning is where  a portion of the traditional face-to-face instruction is replaced by web-based online learning. Here is a great video that does an awesome job explaining blended learning.


I started my blended learning journey by taking a professional development class offered through my school district.  After several sessions, the instructor decided he wanted to come visit my class to see how I was coming along.  Needless to say, I was very hesitate having him come to observe.  I had just started the learning process and felt like I wasn't ready for anyone to come see what I was doing! Based on his feedback he was very impressed with what he saw, to my amazement! At the beginning of this week he sent me an email asking if he could send several teachers from my district, who are interested in blended learning, come see it in action.  My response was, "See who? Me!?"

So on yesterday, I was put on display...Ready or not!  Lol!!  I have been implementing blended learning into my math instruction, so this is what the teachers observed.  To being my lesson, I wanted students to assess their own understanding of division.  I used a Google Form to gather this information. Using the information, I created several activities to help review division. The activities included watching a teacher created review video, coaching sessions with task cards, working with a small group of students, and creating a lesson teaching other 5th graders how to divide.

I created my video review lesson using Educreations, which is an ipad app (this is the web-based online learning part of blended learning). Those students who felt they needed another lesson before the test watched the video.  While they were watching the lesson they were to complete a handout I created.  Having students complete the handout required them to be accountable for their learning.  I also added a QR code to the corner of the handout so that students will be able to access the video at home, if needed.



 I also worked with a small group of students who felt they needed more instruction and practice with me.  While these students were working on problems I assigned, I would walk around the class to assist any other students who needed additional help and to check on their progress.  This was also a great time for me to answer any questions they may have had.


Other students had coaching sessions with their peers using division task cards from Math Mojo.  Students enjoy coaching sessions as it gives them the opportunity to explain their thinking and to learn different strategies from their classmates.


Finally, students who felt like they were experts on division were given the task of creating a video teaching a group of 5th graders how to divide.






At the end of the lesson, we came back together as a group and had a class discuss.  There are many ways to use blended learning in the classroom.  If you are using blended learning, I would love to hear how you use it!  

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I tried to email you about fifth grade freebies and it bounced back to me. Can you email me at surfingtosuccess@yahoo.com ?

    Mercedes
    Surfing to Success

    ReplyDelete